Monday, August 15, 2016

No Man's Diary #5




1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Day Five
I've spent the last two systems searching in vain for chrysonite, but haven't seen so much as an atom of the stuff. Salt in the wounds was Sarah practically tripping over the stuff on a planet she found, but I keep looking.

I find a world with huge mountains of gold, and spend an hour mining the stuff to swell my coffers a bit; despite the new ship I got yesterday, I'm still in the market for a bigger ship, but the ones I like the look of all cost between one and two million units. I've currently got less than half a million.

In the meantime, I've defended a transport ship that was under attack, and defeated two groups of pirates who wanted the contents of my cargo hold.

After a mildly-profitable but frustrating search, I give up on this system and warp on to the next one: Four planets, no moons.

I arrive and head straight for the space station, but for the first time there's nobody there. I sell a couple of trinkets to the Galactic Trade Terminal, and go down to the first planet.

But someone's beaten me to it.


The system is listed as discovered by me, and all the other planets are still Undiscovered; but the nearest world, the one the station orbits, has somebody else's name on it.

Another player in the same system! I wonder how soon after me they arrived; it can't have been long, I only spent a minute or two in the station. I head to the planet to check it out. None of the flora or fauna seem to have been named.

The novelty of my close encounter quickly wears off as I realise the planet has no chrysonite.

And neither do any of the others in the system.

The search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment