Monday, August 15, 2016

No Man's Diary #4


( 1 | 2 | 3 )
Day Four
As I fly low over the surface of another mostly-dead world, I spot a blob of blue and red standing out from the surrounding brown ground, a plume of smoke billowing out into the thin atmosphere.

I land nearby and sprint/jetpack over the rocks to survey my prize: a crashed starship.

There's a distress beacon next to it, which I could activate, though the game warns me this might attract attention, which sounds sinister; I don't bother, and spend a moment comparing the new ship to my old one.

It's uglier, that's for sure; a big, squat, boxy thing with a paint job that looks like Optimus Prime in disguise as the A-Team van, but it's also got a few extra cargo slots and better guns. Mine!


The down side of the new ship is that it's incredibly broken; the thrusters, engines, shields, and weapons all need repairing. I've got enough resources on hand to get the thing airborne, but spend a while farming what I need to get the defenses up, too, before heading off-world in search of Chrysonite, an allegedly-common mineral that I need to get the weapon upgrades running again.


I search the entire system; four planets and a moon, one of which hosts the most aggressive Sentinels (I realise I've been calling them Guardians by mistake this entire time) I've seen yet, who would attack on sight anyway, and take particular exception to my theft of the glowing Graviton Spheres that litter the ground. Taking fire from drones and some kind of terrible robot laser-dog, I flee back to my ship and blast off.

The Sentinels send ships after me.

I kill the first one, but before I can finish a breath, two more warp in. I try to run for it, but they're faster and have bigger guns; I respawn at the space station.

No comments:

Post a Comment