Monday, August 06, 2007

A Scanner Darkly



This is one of those movies I wanted to see at the cinema, but never got round to. I think, in retrospect, it was better to have seen it on a TV, because this is a seriously weird film. 

Even now, I'm not quite sure what happens in it, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look amazing. The colours, the lines, the slight distortion of moving objects all combine with the general confusion of both the plot and that the characters are experiencing in a great way. I'm definitely going to have to watch it again, when I'm a bit more awake, and see if I can make more sense of it.

I'm not sure how long it was; when it ended, I didn't feel like I'd been there long, but the start seemed ages ago. It's less a story in a literal sense and more a sequence of events, that don't tell you what's going on so much as they let you see how and what Keanu Reeves' character (Robert Arctor) is feeling. He's feeling very confused indeed. There's a fantastic conversation near the beginning (I think) about a bike. Robert Downey Jr. is fantastic.

There's really not a whole lot to say about the story, such as it is, without spoiling it, except that you really need to see it and make up your own mind. I'm aware the visuals won't be for everyone, which is why DVD is likely the best way to go; that way you can take a break if you need to, but I was captivated and stunned from the first frame to the last.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to be a pedant (not really), but this was written by Philip K. Dick - the movie is remarkably close to the original novel, and takes most of its dialogue from the book.

    Having said that, different characters from the novel are mashed together in places (different characters depending on the situation) to whittle down the cast in the film.

    ReplyDelete